In 2020 I started sewing again. I made my first jackets based on a pattern I drew from a second hand jacket I found at a Guerrida shop.
I’ve been willing for 2 years to make a sewing project with some kind of data visualization involved. Since I saw the Arte documentary “Fashion Geek”, I follow and admire the work of Clara Daguin and Ying Gao. They both include elecronic devices in clothes to convey impressions, and to explore the interfaces between body and technology.
I’ve been making 2 jackets, 2 shorts and I’ll try to make 2 hats and 2 bags. I want to use geospatial sensors attached to the clothes, and then use the data to produce sounds made of samples. The sound would be linked to the movement. For this I need to do a few things :
- Find or draw appropriate patterns
- Sew the clothes
- Setup the sensors with a Raspberry Pi
- Setup the server that saves the data
- Build the interface that reads it
- Write the algorithm that produces the sounds
- Record the movement of the clothes and film it
- Create a video with both sound generated and images
None of this points is finished yet, but I’ve started working on all of them.
To be continued…